ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2007-01 > 1168694293

From: Hazel Meldrum <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] ABERDEEN Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29 Stables Carters
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:18:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jaki
Quoting Diane Morgan's book 'Round About Mounthooly' in the 18th century North street which later became West North street was a busy street a place of inns, stables smiths and forges.
I cannot find the reference but my gt gt gt grandfather was also a carrier and lived in West North street,which was a link between the Kitty Brewster station to the Joint station down at the Quay.
In one book I read it stated that carriers had to decided whether to use the flatter King street area or the hill of West North street .
As for Wordie's the Diane's book stated that the local cart horses were enlisted during the 1st WW, when demobilised at the end at the Guild street goods station."The Co-opie horses made off for Berryden at a quick trot,Wordies horses for Schoolhill and Mutter Howey's for Charlotte street, they remembered where their stables were and didn't need a second telling."
If you have ancestors who lived in central Aberdeen in the 19th early/20th century I would recommend her books as she has brought together various sources.
Hope this adds a little flavour to your research.
Hazel
Message Received: Jan 12 2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks. I wonder if the John Street one is the one that was remembered as Schoolhill.
Jaki Forbes Wilson

Sent: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11.43PM

There used to be Stables on Charlotte Street(New flats there now) also on
Baker Street South Mount Street end, Through a close. Then the biggest that I
remember was Wordies Horses on John Street where the University Flats are.

E Allan