ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2006-08 > 1155859504

From: "Ray Hennessy" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Towns and named locations
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:05:04 +0100

Danu Summerville wrote:

> I'll have to try and get the maps and see if I can
> get the "statistical accounts", or at least extracts
> from the areas I'm interested in (Premnay, Insch,
> Leslie, Kennethmont, Oyne).

> If the "Pathfinder" map series is no longer in print, does the
> "Explorer" series of OS maps cover as much detail?

Hi again Danu

The Statistical Accounts are available on line, for free!!

Go to Edina [ http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/ ] and fight your
way through the system - you don't need to register. Under the
heading "For non-subscribers" is the link to the images of the
originals: "Browse Scanned Pages" at
http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public&;

I haven't checked all your interests but Premnay is certainly
there, as Gavin indicated.

Explorer maps are 1:25000 [2.5 inches/mile]: excellent for
most purposes, double the detail of the Landranger series
[1:50000, or 1.25 inches/mile] - still pretty useful.
[can't remember the scale for the Pathfinder series ?1 inch?]

The multimap [ http://www.multimap.com/ ] detail is similar
to Landranger but you will need grid references as most
places in rural N E Scotland won't be indexed.

Gavin might advise on whether it was likely that Jane Ann
was buried there or not.

Best wishes

Ray