ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2005-11 > 1133225691

From: Lois Yunker <>
Subject: Naming traditions in Scotland
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:54:51 -0500

I have studied the traditions and find some variations. Unfortunately my
grandparents died when I was young and like all of us I didn't ask my Dad
many questions. However, he had always told me the names of his
grandparents, aunts, and uncles so I had a good starting point when I
decided to take up genealogy. My Dad came to the states at age 8 so he
really had little contact with his relatives in Scotland. His
grandparents were already deceased -some before he was born.

My grandfather was named Andrew and his father was James. My grandmother
was named Ann.

Child #1 The first son was named Andrew. No middle name. He died at 6
weeks.
Child #2 The first daughter was named Elizabeth for my grandmother's
mother.
Child#3 The second son was named Walter for my grandmother's father.
Child#4 The third son (my DAD) was named Alexander. Perhaps for
my grandfather's brother.
Child#5 The fourth son was named John . Both grandparents had a
brother John.
Child#6 The second daughter was named Violet. No middle name.
Haven't found any so far.
Child# 7 The fifth son was named Stanley. Haven't found any at all.
Child #8 The sixth son was named Andrew no middle name.

I was the only one in my family who was named for no one. I am the first
child. One brother was named for my Dad, the other for my Uncle Stanley
who died at 20, and my sister for both Grandmothers (Mary Ann and she is
called Mary Ann).

This thread: