ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2005-11 > 1133180236

From: "Kathy Stevenson" <>
Subject: Re: Naming Traditions in Scotland
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:17:16 -0500

Hello everyone,

I thought I would put in my version of the tradition. My Jaffray line
always used the surname of a favoured auntie or uncle that married into
the family (or brother-in-law/sister-in-law) as a middle name back until
the late 1700s. It really helps when you're looking for marriage
connections, eg. Margaret Gemlo Jaffray. My father was different. He
is Thomas Alexander Stewart Stevenson. I wondered at the significance
of the two middle names as he is the only one in the Stevenson line that
has more than one forename. He wasn't able to help me with the "why" of
his naming. I talked to my auntie just before she passed away,
Alexander Stewart was the doctor that delivered my father and his older
brothers and sisters. Just goes to show you that occasionally you get a
curve ball thrown at you.

Regards,

Kathy Stevenson
Elmira, Ontario