ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2005-11 > 1131892810

From: "Ray Hennessy" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] George Copland @ Waukmill in Coull circa 1841
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:40:10 -0000

Lou <> wrote

> I have found my g-g- grandfather in the 1841 Census
> in Coull Parish with the address of "Waukmill".
> Is or was Waukmill in Coull a town or hamlet,
> or maybe a woolen mill complex?

Hi Lou

I'm not an expert, and don't have any knowledge of Coull
but this is my understanding from looking at many maps:

" Waulking means cloth fulling/shrinking but [the]
activities may also have included one or all of
wool washing, dying and carding. "
[Source: the Knockando Woolmill website]

Waukmills/Waulkmills occur all over the N E of Scotland
and replaced the previous home industry of wool cleaning
spinning, weaving, etc after the invention of various automatic
devices, notably the Jenny in the third quarter of the 18th C.

The name would usually cover a small complex or even
just a single building, depending on the location and
whether later development of the site had taken place.
It is most unlikely to refer to a "town" or even a village.
The larger parishes may have more than one place with
the same name.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the actual area will have
more information on this one!

Best wishes

Ray Hennessy

This thread: