ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2005-04 > 1114157795

From: "Ian Clough" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Burness research
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:16:35 +0100

SLL wrote,

< I will be traveling to Aberdeen this fall and would like to know to whom I
would write to locate burial sites of my ancestors. >

If you want to be put it touch with kindly people who are genuinely
interested in your quest then the best advice that anyone could give you
would be to join Aberdeen and Northeast Scotland Family History Society run
by volunteers. It will cost you £15 or the equivalent to join. You will
be pleasantly surprised at how much material they have accumulated and how
little it costs for searches etc.

I used to be a salesman so I'm sorry for what seems to be a sales pitch but
as you want to waste as little of your time while over here they will be of
great assistance.

What most of us would like to find are monumental inscriptions listing who
is who in the family but the reality is that very few of our ancestors could
afford to have a gravestone and we have to turn to other sources. So it's
back to my bit of salesmanship.

The web address for Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS is : www.anesfhs.org.uk/
where there is a draft version of an online index to the published, and some
of the unpublished MIs .

The e-mail address is
(164 King Street, Aberdeen, AB24 5BD, Scotland).

Have a nice stay,

Ian