ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2002-10 > 1036121736

From: "Midge" <>
Subject: [ABERDEEN] Re: Unreadable name of Parish
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:35:42 +1300

Hi Listers,
What a wonderful lot of relpies, thank you Cath, Peter, Susan, Elma,
Gavin and Isobel. Sorry if I've missed anybody. Isobel, thanks for your
generous offer to look it up at LDS. Gavin will give you more details
below. This may solve the problem straight away.

What I have is a copy of an "Extract of an Entry" of my Grandmothers Birth
Certificate.

Name and Surname When and Where born Sex ??????????
Maggie Ann 1887 F James
Chalmers
Chalmers June Police
Constable
Thirtieth
1 h. A.M. Mary
Chalmers
34
M.S. Grant
Powis Place 1883
December 15th
Aberdeen Alford

At the bottom it says;
EXTRACTED from a Register of Births for the ABERDEEN DISTRICT ?????????AR
PARISH in the COUNTY of ABERDEEN.

OK the other details on the right are clear.
So her parents were married at Alford. I take it the M.S. means maiden
surname
The 34 Powis Place could be the name of the hospital where she was born or
maybe their residential address ??

I went into the old Scotsorigin website census records a while back but
wasn't successful in finding the right family as I didn't have her fathers
occupation at the time.

Thanks again everyone
Cheers
Midge