ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2002-08 > 1030439251

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re:[ABERDEEN] Mill of Fortrie
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:07:31 +0100

Dave wrote:

> My gg grandfather John Mitchell (b1803) & his brothers & sisters lived
> at Mill of Fortree. The baptisms (shown in the IGI) were recorded in
> Old Deer parish. I think the farm is in Ellon parish, but not sure.
> Anyone know?

According to a copy of sheet 31 of the OS 7th Series maps, the Civil
Parish boundary runs in an arc to the north and west of Mill of Fortie,
following the line of an un-named tributary of the Burn of Ebrie. Mill
of Fortie, Backhill of Fortrie and mains of Fortrie are all just on the
Ellon side of the line. The same boundary can be seen on an 1987 edition
of the OS Landranger sheet 30. The Landranger Series does not normally
show Parish boundaries, but this was also the boundary between "Gordon"
and "Banff and Buchan", two divisions of the late lamented Grampian
Region. But as these have now ceased to exist since the rise of
"Aberdeenshire" from the ashes in 1996, it may not appear on currently
available versions of that map.

Gavin Bell

This thread: