ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2000-06 > 0960022244

From: "Howard Geddes" <>
Subject: Re: Scots College in Paris
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 09:50:44 +0100

Hi Anne: there was a University Of Paris where at least some Scots were: one
was Mathew Geddes who graduated in (wait for it!) 1394. He was one of a
group of 20 under the tutilage of John Murray - hardly a french name!

Details are in a book called <Auctorium Chartularii Universitatis
Parisiensis>: by H Denifle: pub. Paris 1894. A copy is in Aberdeen
University - the source document comprises more than one volume (my details
came from Vol I) but it is in Latin.

The Geddes details were provided to me, so I don't know the timescale of the
University nor the book. And despite an O-level, my Latin is most certainly
not up to reading it myself.

Hope this helps. Howard Geddes

This thread: