ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2000-03 > 0953350330

From: "Patrick A. Andrus" <>
Subject: Wearing O' The Orange
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:32:10 -0800

I'm not sure if this is the story behind wearing orange, but it could be
an explanation:

WILLIAM III OF ORANGE

William III of the House of Orange lived from 1650 to 1702. He was from
the Netherlands and invaded England in about 1689. It was accomplished
without any spilling of blood. He became king over the British Isles
and abolished many of the laws against the Protestants.

This is why the Protestants of Ireland still refer to themselves as
"Orangemen". The flag of Ireland has 3 colors side by side. Orange
represents Protestants, green represents Catholics and white in the
middle to represent peace between the two.

There's probably much more to this story, but I think that's the jist of
it.

Patrick

This thread: