2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY > 2004-02 > 1078022879

From: "Kevin Frye" <>
Subject: [2ND-GA-CAVALRY] 2nd Co. Georgia Home Guard
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:47:59 -0500

Hi Gang,
I dont know if any of you can help but Ill give it a shot.
I have recently aquired a ribbon which has the following printed on it top to bottom.
GOVERNORS
RECEPTION*
FLOOR
COMMITEE.
2d. CO. G.H.G.
1808-1892

The ribbon is red and about 1 1/2 inch wide and 6 inches long.

Being a voulunteer here at Andersonville Civil war POW site, I know that the 2nd reserves were guards here at Andersonville,,, and I know the 2nd Georgia Home Guards were different and not here. I have been told they were established 1808 and were not a vital part of the civil war as battle soldiers for the most part, but feel they were on the lines as Sherman passed through. Could anyone tell me the history of this Guard and what the value of this ribbin might be? Im not looking to sell, but do want to know the history.

Thanks for any details.

Please visit my website dedicated to those Americans who were imprisoned and died in captivity while in the service to our country
Kevin Frye
Local Andersonville Historian / National Park Service Volunteer

http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/nationalpowsite/index.html

This thread: