17TH-TX-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 17TH-TX-CAVALRY > 2010-02 > 1265818742

From: "Ronald Hall" <>
Subject: Re: [17TH-TX-CAVALRY] 17TH-TX-CAVALRY
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:19:02 -0600

Go to this link at the Steen Library:
http://libweb.sfasu.edu/proser/etrc/collections/manuscript/personal/index.ht
ml
They have done a good job of trying to catalogue what they have online.
Many men from the Nacogdoches area were recruited into the 17th Calvary and
some of the letters they have on file are from soldiers of the 17th. What
you miss from the general descriptions given are the names the writers
reference internally in their letters. Your relative may be a member of the
writer's mess patrol and be mentioned in the discourse, particularly and
unfortunately if he was sick or died. A cross check of the names on the
online catalogue against the service records on Footnote should reveal
pretty quickly who was in the 17th and who was not. I am sure there are
other ways as well.

Meanwhile, the letters are fascinating and reveal a lot about the lives and
experiences they lived. We would do well to write as well and as often.

Ronald Hall