17TH-TX-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 17TH-TX-CAVALRY > 2010-02 > 1265759716

Subject: Re: [17TH-TX-CAVALRY] 17TH-TX-CAVALRY
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:55:16 -0600

I believe the Stephen F. Austin University also has a collection of
Civil War letters from Richard David "Dick" Orton. One of the
newspapers in Nacogdoches published a series of his letters; I can't
remember when these were published, but it was sometime in the mid
20th century. (Richard Orton was a brother of my James Harvey
Haltom's wife, Adeline Orton Haltom.)

The Orton Papers at the University library has at least a couple of
letters written by James Harvey Haltom while he was in the Confederate
Army. If there are others in the library's collection from James, I'd
like to know about them.

Dolores Kinsey