17TH-TX-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 17TH-TX-CAVALRY > 2007-12 > 1196629510

From: "Chuck" <>
Subject: Re: [17TH-TX-CAVALRY] Complete Roster
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:05:10 -0800

Hello Rochelle,

Your relative would not be listed in the book, since it appears he was not
with the original 17th Texas Cavalry, and that is the only roster they have
in the book. he is however listed on the National Park web site
http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm as you described, CO.B 17th
Consolidated Texas Cavalry Dismounted.

Now, My GGF was in the 17th cavalry, and their horses were taken away, and
they became The 17th Texas Cavalry Dismounted. Then they were surrendered at
Arkansas Post and sent to prison. Later after a prisoner exchange, they were
combined (do to lack of numbers) with other units, and became the 17th
Consolidated Texas Cavalry Dismounted. Since my GGF was with both, you would
think that he would be listed with both, but is not. I have seen others that
are. So, it is possible your relative was with both and only listed with
one, or he could have been originally with another unit that was combined.

Chuck