17TH-TX-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 17TH-TX-CAVALRY > 2007-12 > 1196554355

From: "Dolores Kinsey" <>
Subject: Re: [17TH-TX-CAVALRY] Complete Roster
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:12:35 -0800

I have a personal copy of this book, and would be happy to look for names or other information.

My great-grandfather, James Harvey Haltom, served in the 17th. On September 21, 1864, as a Jr. 2nd Lieutenant, James wrote the following letter to Brigadier General W. R. Boggs, Chief of Staff:

"Genl.--I herewith tender my Resignation as Jr 2d Lieut, Co A, 17th Consolidated Texas Cavy. (Distd), and respectfully request that I be ordered to report for duty to Capt. Wm L. Alexander, Co H, 4th Texas Cavy. Also that I may be granted a furlough of (30) thirty days, to go to my home in Nacogdoches Texas, for the purpose of procurring my horse. I respectfully urge that my resignation be accepted, for the reason that sickness has rendered me physically unable to perform my duties as an Infantry officer." (Thet Texan was tared of walkin' and wanted to git back on his hoss!!!)

I have looked for information on the above Co. H, 4th Texas Cavalry, but have been unable to find anything about them. I'd like to know whether James Harvey Haltom ever reported for duty to that regiment, and where they may have fought.

Dolores Kinsey