1776-L Archives

Archiver > 1776 > 2008-07 > 1215204827

From: commander <>
Subject: [1776] STAR SPANGLED BANNER
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:53:47 -0400

AUTHOR: Francis Scott Key

O say can you see by the dawns early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilights last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof throught the night that our flag was still there.
O say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze o'er the towering steep
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
Tis the star spangled banner oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the bttle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood was out their foul footsteps pollution;
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terrof of flight or the gloom of the grave.
And the star spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the ewar's desolation;
Blest with victory and peace may the heaven's rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must when our cause it is just;
And this be our moto in God is our trust!
And the star spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYONE!

This thread: