11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION-L Archives

Archiver > 11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION > 2011-04 > 1302955864

From: "Carter" <>
Subject: Re: [11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION] J Linscum - John Linscomb
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:11:04 -0500

Hello Lizabeth,

My ggf, John Boatwright, also fought in Spaight's Battalion, 21st Texas,
later known as the 11th.

Name & Rank: JOHN L. BOATRIGHT, PVT

Commanding Officer: Capt. W.H. Griffin & Capt. John Tubbs

Enlisted: May 06, 1862 in Parker County Texas.

He was at both battles at Sabine Pass. Being a veteran of The Mexican War,
he was a sharp-shooter. Ironically, another ggf was also at the same
battles, in a different unit, William Presley, Texas 13th, heavy artillery
cannon crew.

I am very proud of my Great-great-grandfather, John L. Boatright. He was
the grandson of Thomas & Amy Boatright enumerated in the first fifteen
colonists of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred. John and his parents
are recognized Texas First Families. John L. Boatright was a young man at
the time of the birth of the Republic of Texas and later he witnessed the
realization of Sam Houston's vision of Texas Statehood in 1846. During the
Mexican War, he once again took up arms and again fought for Texas
1846-1848. He supported and fought for the cause of the Confederacy and
felt the bitter disappointment of defeat as he witnessed the Confederate
Flag wave for the last time over Texas. His generation rebuilt Texas during
the reconstruction period that followed the devastation of the Civil war.
John L Boatright was the very essence of the Spirit of Texas. I am honored
and privileged to be his great-great-grandson. We honor our ancestors by
perpetuating their memories,

Mr. Leland Carter