11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION-L Archives

Archiver > 11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION > 2009-01 > 1231208015

From: "John P Pate" <>
Subject: Re: [11TH-TEXAS-BATTALION] Another Spaight's Man in Uniform
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:13:35 -0600

I just looked at his service records - it shows that he was trained as a
musician at Camp Green at the same time as James Dallas Collier who is
holding a flute in the picture. Might be a good bet your James played the
flute.

There is also a rather lengthy and very hard to read copy of his court
martial in the records. As far as I can tell it was for sleeping on duty.
There is also a hard to read card that I think says he was sent out to hunt
prisoners. I am having a hard time reading bad handwriting tonight.

I will try to upload all the cards on a webpage tonight in the hopes that
you or someone else on the list can transcribe them. Court martial records
can be a goldmine of information, especially if they defend themselves.

John